With the summer quickly approaching, it is time to get ready for the beach! Getting in shape and eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring. With these tips, you can savor the flavor while working on a healthier you.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. The more color the better! Fruits and veggies have many different nutrients that are important to keep your body healthy.
- Don’t be afraid to try something new. Trying different vegetables, fruits, or whole grains can lead to you finding a new favorite food.
- Eat seafood at least twice a week. This is easy to do living in sunny Southwest Florida with all kinds of fresh seafood available.
- Be careful with eating sugary foods. You can have a slice of cake but make sure it is just one slice and not one-half of a cake.
- Don’t get too salty. Salt can cause your body to retain water leaving you feeling bloated. Prevent that by eating foods with less sodium.
- Drink more water. It can be easy to have another cup of coffee or tea, instead have a glass of water. Staying hydrated will help keep your energy levels up and your risks of getting dehydrated in hot conditions low.
Eating healthy can taste great, even if it takes a little adventuring to find the right flavors to savor. If you’d like to see how Shell Point incorporates these tips into its menu options, visit any of its four open-to-the-public restaurants to enjoy a delicious, health-conscious meal. Find more information about dining venues at http://www.shellpoint.org/dining.html.
Stay tuned for part 2 for some more flavorful tips.
Linda Rakos has a bachelor’s degree in food and nutrition from Carnegie Mellon University, and more than 30 years of experience in the food service industry. As assistant director of Hospitality Services at Shell Point Retirement Community for over 20 years, she ensures that all menu programs meet nutritional standards and are in compliance with regulatory agency requirements. Linda is also a registered licensed dietitian nutritionist.