OPERATION SEPTEMBER FREEDOM AT PAGE FIELD HONORS WWII VETERANS
WHO: Eight Shell Point residents who served in WWII, ranging from 95 to 102 years old
WHAT: Dream Flights – a non-profit organization dedicated to honoring seniors and military veterans –
is providing Shell Point’s WWII veterans with a flight in a Boeing Stearman biplane as part of “Operation September Freedom” to commemorate the 76th anniversary of the official end of the second World War. Since August 1, 604 WWII veterans have been honored with a flight and signed the tail of the Stearman they flew in.
The plane that will be used for the Sept. 30 event was previously owned and restored by Shell Point resident Roland Garlinghouse, who donated it to Dream Flights.
WHEN: Thursday, September 30 at 9 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Four residents fly in two sessions.
WHERE: Base Operations at Page Field, 5200 Captain Channing Page Dr., Fort Myers, FL 33907
INTERVIEWS, VIDEO & PHOTO OPS
- Eight Shell Point Residents/WWII Veterans, including two former pilots
- Darryl Fisher, Dream Flights founder
- Colonel Jim Stapleton, Shell Point Veterans’ Club leader
- Roland Garlinghouse, Shell Point resident and Dream Flights volunteer
- Cypress Lake High School Junior Officer Training Command
Shell Point Retirement Community:
cell: (239) 310-1115