FORT MYERS, Fla. ( August 27, 2015) – The Academy of Lifelong Learning at Shell Point Retirement Community launches its fall semester with The Story of China. This series of six historical lectures, will be held at Shell Point on Tuesdays this fall, from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Beginning on Sept. 15, The Story of China explores the impact of China’s history, religion, and culture on the world. Professor Adrian Kerr will examine this immense and varied country, from the origins of its native people to taking its position on the world stage.
• September 15 – Prehistory and Early Times
• October 6 – The Qin to the Han
• October 13 – From the Han to the Mongols
• October 20 – The Great Ming Dynasty
• October 27 – From the Ming to the Republic
• November 3 – From the Republic to Today
Professor Adrian Kerr, a resident of Southwest Florida, has studied ancient civilizations in Egypt, China, and more for over 30 years. A regular world traveler, Kerr specializes in interaction between early civilizations, and the impact these ancient communities have on modern times.
Separate tickets are required for each session, and cost $10 each. To purchase tickets for these presentations, please call 239-489-8472 or visit www.shellpoint.org/events.
Continue reading “Academy of Lifelong Learning at Shell Point Launches Six-Part Series: The Story of China”
FORT MYERS, Fla. ( August 25, 2015) – Shell Point Retirement Community has announced its 2015-2016 Concert Series, which brings a variety of local and international performers to Shell Point’s campus in three distinct musical series: Fine and Performing Arts, Concerts and Conversations, and the Southwest Florida Symphony.
“Once again, we are proud to present another exciting season of cultural excellence, featuring a wonderful array of talented performers guaranteed to please,” said Dawn Boren, Shell Point director of Resident Life.
This season’s Fine and Performing Arts lineup brings culturally expressive and talented musical and dance ensembles to the recently renovated Village Church Auditorium.
• National Dance Company of Siberia – Friday, Nov. 6 at 7:30 p.m.
• Duke Ellington Orchestra – Monday, Jan. 25 at 7:30 p.m.
• A Night at the Oscars: Hollywood Concert Orchestra – Tuesday, Feb. 9 at 7:30 p.m.
• Chicago Brass Quintet – Monday, March 7 at 7:30 p.m.
• Broadway Pops International: The Music of Rodgers and Hammerstein – Tuesday, April 5 at 7:30 p.m.
• Bonus Concert: Barbary Coast Dixieland Band – Tuesday, March 1 at 7:30 p.m.
Continue reading “Shell Point Announces 2015 – 2016 Concert Series”