It’s easy to overlook signs of decline in mom and dad, so ask yourself the following questions to help you determine if your parent is ready for assisted living:
- Is your parent experiencing memory loss in a situation that has moderate to severe consequences such as forgetting doctor appointments or forgetting to take medications, forgetting to eat?
- Has your parent lost or gained weight recently? Is your parent telling you that he or she is eating, but food is expired in the refrigerator?
- Has your parent had a recent fall? Is your parent covering up bruises or unsure where they came from?
- Do you keep seeing your parent wearing the same clothes when you go to visit or notice a uncharacteristic hygiene concerns?
- Does your parent hear strange noises in the night?
- When you look around the house or yard, is it as neat and clean as it used to be?
- Is your parent able to take medications correctly? Does he or she know what medications they are taking and why?
- Does your parent respond appropriately to an emergency?
- When you really look at your parent, do you see the bright and vibrant person from years ago? Do you see a more limited person who needs some help and supervision?
- Does your parent’s driving concern you? Has he or she had a recent accident, traffic ticket, unexplained scratches or dents?
It is never to early to learn more about this important part of life. We invite you to visit Shell Point’s Assisted Living page or by calling us at 1-800-780-1131.