Sleep helps keep your mind sharp and provides your body with energy. But, did you know that your skin can benefit from sleep, too? Here are some tips to make sure your skin gets the most from those precious hours of beauty sleep.
- Cleanse your skin every night. Your face is exposed all day to the environment around you. It is important to refresh your skin as it repairs itself at night. This is the best time to use high-performance products for maximum absorption.
- Wash your skin earlier in the evening. Too tired to wash late at night? Perform your skin ritual earlier in the evening. The best time for you may be just before you sit down to relax with a favorite TV show or book.
- Always use a moisturizer at night. Leaving skin bare at night allows moisture to evaporate from your skin, leaving it dull, tired, and dry in the morning. Choose a moisturizer with active ingredients, such as retinol, lactic acid, or arginine to absorb deeper into the skin and encourage cell regeneration.
- Avoid applying cream too close to your eyes. During the night, microscopic amounts of cream will be picked up by your eyelashes. This can be an irritant and cause unnecessary puffiness around your eyes.
- Sleep with your head slightly elevated. This helps reduce fluid retention in the eye area so you’re less puffy in the morning. The right pillow will lift your head to align with your spine.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Sleep can reduce dark circles. Lack of sleep compromises the body’s circulatory system, resulting in stagnant blood in the vessels under the eyes. Skin will look pale and tired.
Now that you know how to plan your nighttime skin care ritual you can ensure that your skin will be glowing when you wake up.