Here are just a few of the healthy reasons to own a pet, according to the Delta Society, a group that performs research into the importance of animals to the lives and well being of humans. These finding came from numerous studies done by a variety of sources on the health benefits of owning a pet.
- Seniors who own dogs go to the doctor less than those who do not.
- Pet owners have lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels than non-owners.
- Pet owners feel less afraid of being a victim of crime when walking with a dog or sharing a residence with a dog.
- Pet owners have fewer minor health problems.
- Pet owners have better psychological well being.
- Pet owners have a higher survival rate following coronary heart disease.
- Pet owners have better physical health due to exercise with their pets.
- Having a pet may decrease heart attack.
- Pets decrease feelings of loneliness and isolation and increase feelings of love