What Did You Say?
6 Tips for Better Communication with the Hard of Hearing
Hearing loss is a natural part of the aging process. Here are a few easy tips that will troubleshoot your communication style and help you better meet the needs of a listener with hearing loss.
- Lower the pitch of your voice.
- Avoid abrupt changes of subject or interjecting small talk into your conversation, as the listener will likely use context to comprehend what you are saying.
- If you are having trouble getting your point across, find another way to say the same thing, rather than repeating the original words again and again.
- If the person wears a hearing aid, make sure it has batteries, the batteries work, the hearing aid is switched “ON” and that the hearing aid is clean and free of earwax.
- Recognize that hard of hearing people often hear and understand less well when they are tired or ill.
- If all else fails, keep a notepad handy and write your words.