Have you exercised or had any type of physical activity today? If not, I encourage you to get up spend a few minutes being active. Exercise is good for the body, but it’s also good for your mind, mood, and memory. No matter your age or your current physical condition, you can benefit from an active lifestyle.
Here a just a few of the many advantages that regular exercise can provide:
- Helps maintain mobility, flexibility, balance, and strength. All these things help in the prevention of falls.
- Impacts our weight by boosting our metabolism and increasing our energy. By maintaining a healthy weight we can prevent or control diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and hypertension, just to name a few.
- Improves sleep, helping you fall asleep more quickly and sleep more deeply.
- Produces endorphins that can actually help you feel better and reduce feelings of sadness or depression.
- Slows the progression of brain disorders such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. It keeps our brain active which in turns help with memory and cognitive decline.
Shell Point Retirement Community offers many exercise options like group fitness and walking classes for its independent living and assisted living residents. For opportunities that are open to the public, like the annual LifeQuest Health and Wellness Expo, review upcoming events at http://shellpoint.org/events.php.