It’s summertime in Southwest Florida and that means it’s time to enjoy the beach. While it may be sunny here all year long, it is especially important to remember how to protect your skin during the summer. Here are some tips to keep you from being burned while enjoying the tropical weather.
- Cover up. Try to wear clothing that covers as much skin as possible without overheating.
- Wear a hat. A hat with a large brim is great for wearing outdoors because it will protect your face from the sun.
- Apply sunscreen. Make sure that it is at least 30 SPF and is broad spectrum protection. Be sure to apply it to all exposed skin.
- Re-apply sunscreen. Re-apply sunscreen at least every 2 hours, or more if you are sweating or swimming.
- Try to stay in the shade. Sit under an umbrella or canopy to protect your skin from the bright sun; plus, it will keep you cooler.
If you do end up getting sunburned, be sure to apply a moisturizing cream or lotion after taking a cool shower. Try to use a lotion that has vitamins E and C in it to reduce the damage to your skin. Do not scrub at your sunburn because it will only cause more damage to your skin.
Now that you know how to protect your skin during Southwest Florida’s summer season, consider a weekend getaway at Shell Point’s LifeQuest Aquatic Center. Learn more about this and many other summertime amenities waiting for you at Shell Point by visiting www.shellpoint.org/summer.