Our previous Savor the Flavor blog post examined what types of food you should be eating to stay healthy. But health-conscious food consumption isn’t all about what you eat! Here are a few tips that will teach you how to mix up those healthy foods to keep your plate appetizing and your diet on track.
- Try to cook at home. This can be hard sometimes with how busy our schedules can get but try to eat at home as much as you can. It is less tempting to eat something unhealthy if you only have healthy food at home.
- Watch your portion size. You can still eat the foods you love but stick to eating smaller portions and it won’t add more calories to your diet.
- If you do eat out, stick to your health goals. This can be easy eating at one of Shell Point’s four restaurants because there is an abundance of delicious healthy food available. If you say you are going to have a salad don’t change your mind when you get to the restaurant and smell a cheeseburger; stick to your plan of eating a salad.
- Be active! Keep your body moving and you won’t have to worry about the numbers on the scale going up.
- Do not skip breakfast; it really is the most important meal of the day. Start your day off right by eating whole grains, fruit, or low-fat yogurt in the morning and eating healthy the rest of the day will be easier.
Now you have all the ingredients to create a healthy diet plan. Don’t be afraid to try some new things to find the recipe for success. Who knows? You may like it more than you thought you would.
Linda Rakos has a bachelor’s degree in food and nutrition from Carnegie Mellon University, and more than 30 years of experience in the food service industry. As assistant director of Hospitality Services at Shell Point Retirement Community for over 20 years, she ensures that all menu programs meet nutritional standards and are in compliance with regulatory agency requirements.