Why is it so important to eat healthy? It goes beyond being thin and looking good. Food is fuel for our body. To keep our bodies healthy as long as possible, we must take in foods that have all the necessary nutrients that our body needs. It takes dedication and willpower to make healthy good choices.
Here are some basic tips to start on the way to healthy eating:
- Stay away from processed and fast foods.
- Chose baked, broiled, or grilled goods instead of fried or sautéed foods.
- Your plate should have color; eat deeply colored vegetables and fruits as they are higher in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Avoid excess salt and sugar; use different spices to improve taste instead.
- Ask for smaller portions to avoid eating excessively; feel satisfied, not stuffed, after eating.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat whole grains.
- Eat healthy fats, such as mono-unsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats, including Omega-3 and Omega-6; avoid saturated fats and trans fats.
- Eat slowly; take your time.
These simple tips can make a dramatic change in your life. You will get a general feeling of well being, thanks to more energy and stabilized moods. It is never too late to start to make choices that will improve your life.